Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 06:15:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      robert Backhaus <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Joel <joel@starbug.ugh.net.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

--- Joel <joel@starbug.ugh.net.au> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Im having trouble with my ADSL PPPoE connection
>
> I am running 4.6-STABLE , I have dialed up using 2
> iBooks and an iMac
> using PPPoE , even copied /usr/src and /usr/obj ,
> made world and installed
> on a borrowed PC and copied my ppp.conf file over to
> it and it even
> connected fine :-/ , so it cant be my ppp.conf nor
> my D-Link ADSL Modem ,
> my Ethernet card works just fine , even swaped out
> just incase.

I researched PPPoe for telstra's adsl in the belief
that I'd need it, but then they got a 4-port adsl
modem that does the pppoe itself. It also does nat,
dhcp+dns, so we left it at that. If you have a 4-port,
there's nothing for PPPoe to connect to, but you'd
already have worked that out.
Telstra's implementation of PPPoE is fussy and
required a modification for before RELEASE_4.2. Very
complete details are available at
http://logicsquad.net/freebsd/PPPoE-how-to.html,
although I never had to use them, as mentioned
earlier.
Best of luck,
Robert Backhaus