Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:30:03 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sym SCSI card problems during settle wait

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Dan Langille wrote:

> > I strongly suspect that your problem IS with termination.  If your card is
> > anything like mine (I suspect it is), then you'll notice that there is NO
> > termination on the card itself!  Therefore, you have to terminate BOTH ends
> > of the SCSI cable (assuming only one drive).
> >
> > Hope this helps...
>
> Say what?  How do you terminate both ends?

Get a gun with two bullets in it?  :-)

I use a little thingy (I'll call it an in-line cable terminator) that
plugs into the card, then which the cable plugs into.  I got these from
some old, old IBM drives.

Perhaps you could plug an external cable into the back of the card and put
a terminator on that. (I have a feeling that this will reduce the SCSI bus
speed to 5MHz though...)

And lastly, there are solder marks for you to mount some surface-mount
resistor packs :-)

Also, when you boot, does the BIOS on the card detect the disk?  I've seen
the card cause a machine not to boot (ie. lock up in the BIOS) if it
doesn't like the disks....

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas