Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2010 21:33:37 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware for home use large storage

Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd@over-yonder.net> wrote:

> > I have something similar (5x1Tb) - I have a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
> > with an Athlon X2 and 4Gb of RAM (only half filled - 2x2Gb)
> >
> > Note that it doesn't support ECC, I don't know if that is a problem.
>
> How's that?  Is the BIOS just stupid, or is the board physically
> missing traces?

Doesn't matter really, does it?

I have a GA-MA78G-DS3H.  According to the specs, it supports ECC
memory.  And that is all the mention of ECC you will find anywhere.
There is nothing in the BIOS.  My best guess is that they quite
literally mean that you can plug ECC memory into the board and it
will work, but that there are no provisions to actually use ECC.

That said, I also have an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe.  If I enable ECC in
the BIOS, the board locks up sooner or later, even when just sitting
in the BIOS.  memtest86 dies a screaming death immediately.  When
I disable ECC, the board is solid, both in actual use and with
memtest.

I thought if I built a PC from components, I'd be already a step
above the lowest dregs of the consumer market, but apparently not.