Date:      Sat, 07 Jan 1995 15:20:06 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Porting cyclades driver; sigh

> NetBSD has got ttymalloc & ttyfree; added into tty.[ch].  Don't know if
> they are correct but hope so.

I think someone here wanted to add this, but it was also supposed to be
very simple!

> i386/conf.c is is pretty different; implemented the necessary fancy macros
> NetBSD has for exploding cdevsw entries and declarations.  Leave rest to
> someone else; this should be merged.

I think we're actually hoping that cdevsw will go AWAY!  The fancy
macros are a nice stop-gap measure, but what we really need is a devfs
that renders bdevsw and cdevsw entirely obsolete, and this is being
worked on now.  This is probably why nobody has bothered to bring the
fancy macros in.

> Can't you guys settle at least for the driver interfaces, if not bicycles?
> :-/

It's sad, but we actually need to start talking more, first! :-)

> I wouldn't mind someone shipping me a major number for cy driver, just in
> case I happen to get it working before I get pissed off and install
> linux...

Ah, don't do that! :-)  Your major number is 48.

					Jordan