Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 1995 16:05:53 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian>
To:        bde, hackers
Subject:   early warning of DEVFS/SLICE mayhem

I'm going to (as soon as it settles down) perform major mayhem on the slice
code.
I will subit my changes to bruce, but be aware that tehy are coming..
This is for two reasons..
1/ I need functionallity that isn't there
2/ to make it work with DEVFS better

the major change will be the breaking out of 'type handlers' for
each slice type. I need to write a type handler fro MACH2.5 type slices,
so I can cross mount my mach 2.5 partitions.. I believe this may
also work for ISC sysV and other type 99 users as well. (but am unsure)

each level will also be resonsible for it's own
/devfs entries as well

if slice 0 is BSD and slice 2 is MACH2.5

/devs/disks/sd0s0[a-h] will be assigned by tha 386BSD handler
/devs/disks/sd0s2[a-p] will be assigned by tha MACH handler
		(there are 16 partitions under MACH)
		(I'm not quite sure how I'll attack that but I
		may grab a couple of bits from the top byte)

		(ideas?)

julian