Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:51:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        Arun Sharma <arun@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Omnibook 6000 and if_ray

On 16-Apr-01 Arun Sharma wrote:

>> > On a different laptop, yes. But this one is a brand new laptop.
>>
>> Good, at least we know it works and it is just a memory map setup problem.
>>

> Actually, I realized that the only time I got the card to work was
> with -current. The card works witn win98, but doesn't work with win2k.
> Their website says I should upgrade the firware to version 2.5, but
> the firmware update floppy doesn't work for me.

The driver in -current and -stable is basically the same but the memory
allocation in stable is more difficult due to some broken behaviour in pccardd.

>> could you do the pccardc rdmap after an ifconfig ray0 <someip address>? this
>> will give me a bit more info.
>
> The driver makes my machine hang on insert/eject and also when I do it from
> software (pccardc power 0 0 etc).
>
> When it does come up, doing
>
># ifconfig -a
> or
># ifconfig ray0 down
>
> hangs ifconfig with the same error message that I sent in my first mail
> (dmesg.out).

But can you still get another prompt whilst the ifconfig is hung? I really do
need to see the output of pccardc rdmap after the ifconfig. The reason is that
the memory allocation is not done until the driver is attached. The info you
have sent me is pccardd's bogus set up.

What is probably happening, is that the new machine has some BIOS located at the
default memory address ranges. The card is trying to map itself there. Also,
pccardd is probably not helping.

>       -Arun

Duncan

---