Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 13:40:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        root@assmaster.mattgreen.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrading from 3.1 to 3.2

Root writes:
 > I have upgraded twice now, and both times had the same results:
 >
 > I run /stand/sysinstall
 > do the upgrade
 > then when it is complete it says to exit install and it will reboot.
 > That does not happen, I have to reboot it.
 > Then when it comes up it won't boot kernel (it's not even there)
 > So I can boot kernel.prev no problem, but I've tried recompiling a
 > kernel, and it will still be a 3.1 kernel.
 > I can't figure out why it won't upgrade.  Please help

Hmmmm.... Can you upgrade via /stand/sysinstall from a running
system?  Don't think so.  I think you have to boot an install
floppy to do an upgrade.  Else where would it get the new kernel?
(As this gentleman is finding out.)

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790