Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:27:35 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        igor@cs.ibank.ru (Igor Vinokurov), robin@is.co.za, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/console

Michael Smith wrote in message ID
<199604232343.JAA12734@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>:
> You're using xinit.  Don't.  Use xdm like you should be; part of its
> startup explicitly facilitates xconsole's operation.  You might
> also try xterm -C if you're desperate.

Sorry? I don't necessarily always want to run X11 on startup. I did
for a while, but decided that on my machine (which (back then) barely
had enough memory to make X realistic (i.e. 8Mb) it was too much
hassle... So xdm isn't always ``the right thing''. The way around this
is to use /etc/fbtab (see fbtab (4)). I use:

/dev/ttyv0 0600 /dev/console

myself.

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.