Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:44:41 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Aristedes Maniatis" <ari@ish.com.au>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: update strategies

From: "Aristedes Maniatis" <ari@ish.com.au>
To: <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 9:32 PM
Subject: update strategies

> It appears that there are two strategies for updating FreeBSD
systems:

> * cvsup the latest STABLE release on a regular basis
> * get the CD release (4.6, 4.7, etc) snapshots periodically and
update
> from that either with binaries or compiled from source
>
> I am curious about what most people do. For a server where
stability is
> important, I obviously don't want to buildworld once a week, but it
is
> also important to keep on top of bug reports and security holes.

I cvsup the source 3x/week via cron, ports slightly less often, and
buildworld
when I feel like it (which isn't TOO often) or when there's a
security
announcement made.  My servers run at low loads, typically, so
-STABLE works just great on my "production" servers.  I'm looking
into portupgrade to update ports, it seems like it's going to be
cool!

>I'm having some problems getting the kernel to compile (errors in
>"/usr/src/sys/modules/linux") and I suspect that the problem may be
due
>to this lack of understanding about which source trees live where.

Usual suggestion is re-cvsup and try again.  Sounds like you could
have left something out of your kernel config file, though, with this
error.

G'luck, Kevin Kinsey,
DaleCo, S.P.