Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 13:55:05 -0500
From:      "Matt Crawford" <crawdad@fnal.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Regarding http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ48.html#48

    2.24. The boot floppy starts but hangs at the ``Probing Devices...''
    screen.

Here's another problem that led to the same symptom: I have a laptop
with dual IDE controllers, the second of which is for the
PCMCIA-attached CDROM.  The CDROM wasn't inserted when I tried to
install, and it hung.  Disabling the second IDE controller during
installation fixed the problem.  (Inserting the CDROM might have
fixed it as well; don't know for sure.)

			Matt Crawford