Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 20:56:40 +0200
From:      Michel Quadflieg <michel@quadspeed.com>
To:        "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 3.1 to 3.2

At 13:40 5/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Root writes:
> > I have upgraded twice now, and both times had the same results:
> >
> > I run /stand/sysinstall
> > do the upgrade
> > then when it is complete it says to exit install and it will reboot.
> > That does not happen, I have to reboot it.
> > Then when it comes up it won't boot kernel (it's not even there)
> > So I can boot kernel.prev no problem, but I've tried recompiling a
> > kernel, and it will still be a 3.1 kernel.
> > I can't figure out why it won't upgrade.  Please help
>
>Hmmmm.... Can you upgrade via /stand/sysinstall from a running
>system?  Don't think so.  I think you have to boot an install
>floppy to do an upgrade.  Else where would it get the new kernel?
>(As this gentleman is finding out.)

I do upgrades like this:

1) I cvsup the sources with a simple config file
        My config file (just plain text)
        *default host=cvsup5.FreeBSD.ORG
        *default base=/usr
        *default prefix=/usr
        *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
        *default delete use-rel-suffix
        src-all
        src-secure
        src-crypto
2) I do a shutdown now to go into single user mode
3) then I go into /usr/src and do a make world
4) wait for some while at my system about 2 hours
5) then I go into /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/; there I do a config GENERIC
6) then ../../GENERIC -> make depend -> make -> make install
7) reboot, and yes the system is upgraded

Greetings Michel