Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:03:12 -0700
From:      "David S. Besade" <webmaster@machowto.com>
To:        <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How To install freeBSD PPC

on 3/6/04 7:12 AM, Peter Larkowski at peter@larkowski.net wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, David S. Besade wrote:
>=20
>> on 3/5/04 11:12 PM, Sean Welch at Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org wrote:
>>=20
>>> A word of caution -- you are attempting to follow
>>> directions for setting up a server which are intended
>>> for configuring a FreeBSD server.  You have done this
>>> under OS X instead.  I do not know if the FreeBSD
>>> loader is capable of reading an NFS export hfs+
>>> formated volume.  Also, my understanding is that the
>>> Apple version of UFS is incompatible with the FreeBSD
>>> (much more standardized) version.  In other words, it
>>> may not be possible to netboot FreeBSD from a Mac at
>>> this time.
>>>=20
>>> Anyone with more knowledge please chime in --
>>> regardless I'd be interested in the outcome if you
>>> would like to give it a try anyway, David.
>>>=20
>>> Sean
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Sean:
>>=20
>> Open Firmware can't understand UFS, that=B9s why the loader needs to be on=
 an
>> HFS+ partition, it was my understanding you could do this from a Mac?
>>=20
>=20
> Dave:
>=20
> The loader has to be on an HFS(+) partition when booting locally.  Sean i=
> saying it might not be possible to use OSX as a server for netboot.  The
> only issue osx poses (that I can think of anyway) is HFS+'s case
> insensitivity, but I would think getting the machine booted would be
> doable.  I always thought that was the point of nfs.... :)
>=20
> You seem to be having dhcp server issues at this point.  Does the imac yo=
> are trying to netboot run macos of any type or linux or something?  Can
> that OS get an ip from the G4 dhcp server?
>=20
> -p
>=20
>=20
>>=20

Peter,

I changed things up a little last night, basically I made the DHCP server
machine unspecific and yes the iMac gets an IP from it now. I changed the
Open Firmware command to this:"boot enet:,192.168.0.4/loader" it gives me
the client/server deal and then says can't fine and can't open loader.

So I think the root of my issue is the tftp server doesn't seem to be
working. I need some help with that because once that is working it should
boot, and I will be able to access it from NFS.

~Dave