Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:44:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      torstenb@defiant.vmunix.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   FIONREAD to /dev/dsp causes kernel freeze for a few seconds

Hi,

since ports/mbone/rat is currently broken I was about to fix it (it tried
to use mixer ioctl's on /dev/{audio,dsp} which doesnt work anymore with 4.4
or 4.5.

Anyways, the problem I'm seeing now is that during startup of rat, the system
freezes for ~2-4 seconds and rat terminates itself after the freeze. During
the freeze I can't even get into DDB. Wild guess: maybe it's a interrupt
storm.

I tracked it down to the FIONREAD in auddev_newpcm.c:newpcm_audio_is_ready().
If I insert a usleep() before or after the ioctl there's no problem.
Even a usleep(1) is sufficient on my system (P3-800, ES1370).

I put a modifed rat "port" at http://defiant.vmunix.org/~torstenb/rat.tar.gz
The code in question is rat/files/auddev_newpcm.c

Anyways, I'm not familar with /sys/dev/sound at all. Does anyone have an idea
what's causing this ?

 -tb