Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2012 04:04:40 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Backhaus <robbak@robbak.com>
Subject:   Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

Robert Backhaus <robbak@robbak.com> responded:

> What it is asking you is permission to delete old distfiles. You have
> two options to add to your portmaster.rc:

> ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt
> To always remove them without asking, or

> DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt
> To never delete them. Your distfiles directory will quickly get
> massive if you don't do something about stale distfiles.

I saw that in 'man portmaster' and /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc.sample ,
but I thought the files I was prompted for on deletion were the built
packages rather than the distfiles.  Examining /usr/packages/All and
/BETA1/usr/ports/distfiles showed me that those files in question were
outdated distfiles.

So I added DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt to /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc in
another virtual terminal when I was prompted on deletion.  This had no effect
on the current paused portmaster run but will hopefully work on subsequent
portmaster runs.

Keeping stale distfiles is bad cyber housekeeping and leaves a lot of useless
freight.

Tom