Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:16:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ambrisko@tcsi.com (Douglas Ambrisko)
Cc:        durham@tcsi.com, sos@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Specs on a Hitachi CM2085me monitor anybody ??

> | Of course, the absolute topper would be to hack the BIOS rom so that
> | it natively boots to something your monitor can handle!  ;-) .
>
> Well, I hacked booteasy to set my card so my wife can see F1 for DOS
> F2 for FreeBSD.  The problem I ran into with FreeBSD is that it would
> sort-of work okay for the boot loaded except for printing text in blue(?).
> and then when the kernel started the text was not visible.  I poked around
> in syscon but never got anything reasonable working.

It does not realize that it is color, and thus not setting an attribute
in the attribute byte (in this case an 4 bit foreground color value, a 3
bit background color value, and a CGA emulated register "blink bit") means
that the text is invisible.  I believe twiddling bit 5 in the CGA control
register will give you 4 backround bits (changing the interpretation of
the blink bit 8-)).

The blue text comes from the fact that the underline attribute on a
character on a mono screen shows as the color blue on a color screen
(same character color bit pattern).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---