Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:50:26 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

At 11:18 PM -0700 12/18/99, Wes Peters wrote:
>Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     Prices have fallen a lot in the last year.  I'm happy to be able to
> >     get rid of my HUBs, I was constantly having to deal with packet loss
> >     when running saturation tests and never able to figure out what
> >     was causing it.
>
>Switches are a better solution, no doubt about it.  They are well worth
>the cost, even if you're just trying to pep up an old 10Base-T network.
>Investing in 10Base-T switches at this time is a false economy; for only
>a few dollars more per port you can get 10/100 switches like yours and
>upgrade machines to Fast Ethernet as budget allows.

Getting back to the topic of switches, I've recently bought three
different "reasonably cheap" 10/100 switches for some testing.
One thing I would have liked to have had was an option to "mirror"
the traffic of one port on some other port.  I've got one of those
non-peppy 10base-T networks I have to connect to, and I'd like to
be able to have one of "my machines" (on the 10/100 switch) be
able to see all traffic on that 10base-T network.  All three of
the switches I bought do not have configuration options to do
something like this (which is fine...), but I was wondering how
much one has to fork out before you get extra options like a
port-mirroring capability...

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute