Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:20:57 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Debugging Options

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Glen Barber<glen.j.barber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have a two-part question:
>
> I have a minimally customized GENERIC kernel, with the only changes being=
:
> options =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 KDB
> options =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 KDB_UNATTENDED
> options =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 DDB
>
> and 'sysctl debug.debugger_on_panic' shows:
> debug.debugger_on_panic: 0
>
> However, after a panic loading the vboxdrv.ko module, the machine did
> not reboot automatically after reboot.

I meant "automatically after panic".  It's early, and I am apparently
unable to type a coherent thought...

> Here are my questions:
> 1) =A0Would enabling DDB in the kernel prevent an automatic reboot after =
a panic?

> 2) =A0Does the debugger wait for XX seconds of console inactivity before
> rebooting? =A0I was under the impression from the handbook that the
> machine would instantly reboot and after dumping the crash to vmcore0.
> =A0Is this assumption incorrect?
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.

Also, if this is helpful, the userland / kernel are from two days ago, r193=
481:

FreeBSD orion 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #0 r193481: Fri Jun  5
01:55:06 EDT 2009     root@orion:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ORION  i386

--=20
Glen Barber
http://www.dev-urandom.com