Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:04:39 +1100
From:      "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@vet.com.au>
To:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting a DVD-ROM

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 09:37:11AM +0200, Reinier Bezuidenhout wrote:
> Hi ...
>
> I have a DVS DVD-ROM drive and it is detected under ATAPI
> (I'm running 4.0-current of 10 Jan)
>
> I am able to mount a normal data cd in the drive but it fails
> when I try to mount a DVD movie.
>
> I'm using mount_cd9660 ... is this correct ?
>
> It returns with invalid argument.

If I remember correctly, most movie DVDs don't have any
filesystems. You'll only be able mount movie DVDs that have "extras" for
use on a PC. However, even that isn't very useful, since you still can't
view the movie and the extras usually only work under Windows.

If you want to actually play a DVD movie under FreeBSD, I don't know of
any way to do that right now. There is a project called Livid[1] which
is working on this stuff for Linux, perhaps one day their work might be
ported to FreeBSD. Of course, the whole DVD decoding issue is very
controversial right now, with at least two court actions in progress
over it.

[1] http://linuxvideo.org/

--
Lachlan O'Dea <mailto:lodea@vet.com.au>   Computer Associates Pty Ltd
Webmaster                                   Vet - Anti-Virus Software

"With our combined strength, we can end this destructive
conflict and bring order to the galaxy." - Darth Vader