Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:16:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        mpoulin@honk.org (Marty Poulin)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No luck installing X-distribution with Sysinstall (3.3-Release)

Marty Poulin wrote,

> On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>

> > How much disk space in /usr is there for X?
>
> I have a 1GB disk mounted as /usr
>

> > Anyway, take your CD, load it up, and go to the XF86333
> > directory. Type,
> >
> > # sh preinst.sh
> >
> > You may or may not get asked some questions depending on how your
> > system is presently set up. Then,
> >
> > # cp extract /tmp/extract; chmod 700 /tmp/extract; /tmp/extract
> >
> > (Is there an easier way to do that?) Once you get through that,
> >
> > # sh postinst.sh
> >
> > At least this way, any errors in extraction get written to the
> > terminal.
> > --
>
> Thanks for the info - unfortunately for this round I installed the
> tarfiles directly from the xfree86 site, so I won't be able to tell if
> there was a problem with the extraction from the cd.  Maybe next time...

But the binary tarfiles from the XFree86 site will be the _exact_ same
things you have on your CD (provided they are the same XFree86
versions).

I'm looking at ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/binaries/FreeBSD-3.0/
and FreeBSD-3.2R CDROM1, /XF86333. They have the exact same
files. When you do an FTP install at ftp.freebsd.org, the XF8633x
directory is a symbolic link to the local XFree86 mirror.

The XFree86 files you get from FreeBSD are the same thing you get from
XFree86. I'd be interested to hear if you get differenet results from
the XFree86 download than from the files distributed with FreeBSD.