Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:54:25 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        alexei@albion.loach.org (Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video annoyance

Terry Lambert wrote in message ID
<199604220333.UAA16537@phaeton.artisoft.com>:
> > Is there any way of jogginh the video hardware into switching back to text
> > mode if an X server dies or is killed for one reason or another, and doesn'
> > exit cleanly?  I don't like having to telnet in from my other boxes at home
> > when this problem occurs; if there's a fix that I could run, a pointer to i
> > would be greatly appreciated.  Please cc' my email address on your answer,
> so
> > procmail doesn't throw it to aa file that I end up reading only next month.
>  :)
>
> Restart the X server and shut it down normally.

Has never worked for me, as the X server records the state of the
video card when invoked, and the state is, of course, in this case
total garbage...

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.