Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 19:35:18 +0300
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@gerpa.ru>
To:        "Matthias Buelow" <mkb@altair.mayn.de>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VMWare for FreeBSD?

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@altair.mayn.de>
To: Artem Koutchine <matrix@gerpa.ru>
Cc: questions@FreeBSD.ORG <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sunday, November 07, 1999 4:29 AM

>>This way we basically achive 95% linux compatibility, which
>
>How did you calculate the 95%?

That's about the compatibility between different Linuxes :)

>>make freebsd also a perfect workstation (for now it makes
>>a perfect server, but linux is better as workstation because
>>of the support from software companies).
>
>This is preposterous argumentation.  Most real workstations don't
>run Linux.  Do you consider them to be imperfect as well compared
>to a Gnu/Linux PC?  FreeBSD makes a perfect workstation for me.
>Please limit your statements to yourself next time when they're
>obviously subjective.

Well, 95% is subjective, but the fact that FreeBSD is for sure NOT the
best workstation (i.e. a place to work for a single user which is not
just administering another FreeBSD box or writing cgi scripts in perl).

The problem is that software compare clearly shifted their interests
towards Linux and almost totally ignore FreeBSD (except for those
which create server software, because that know that FreeBSD make
a perfect server). VMWare is a very goods example (read their FAQ
and you'll see that they are not even going to consider to write a FreeBSD
version), that goes to all game creators, that even goes to Star Office (if
you visit their site you won't see FreeBSD mentioned), all workstation
innovation first appear in Linux and only after awhile (if at all) it is ported
to FreeBSD (sometimes not really good, KDE for example), and so on
and so forth.

I just want to make one thing clear. IMHO FREEBSD IS THE BEST OF ALL,
but sometimes i wish i use some of the convinient stuff and not waste time
because the software i need is not ported to FreeBSD. On the other hand
Linux sometimes sucks so much that i am afraid to think about it (from selecting
a distribution to locale support).

Artem Koutchine (????? ?????)
Sys/Net/Web Admin, Web Designer, Programmer
WWW: http://idesign.pp.ru E-Mail: matrix@chat.ru
No attachments w/o my permission!!!