Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:35:54 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dhclient, ipfw, and a new ISP, caused a bit of problem

Prior cablemodem ISP was not up to my expectations. So today (isn't
competition great?) the _other_ cable company on the pole in front of
my house connected.

Killed dhclient and moved the /var/db/dhclient.leases file out of the
way. "dhclient fxp0" on the new cable modem. Got it! Flushed the
firewall rules and inserted the new IP address in place. And fell on my
face.

Dec 11 18:41:47 grumpy /kernel: ipfw: 1700 Deny UDP 24.246.28.166:1799 207.230.75.221:53 out via fxp0

Am not running named. But the above is trying to do DNS to the new ISP
using the old IP address issued by the previous ISP (via dhclient).
These are the rules I used before, but now with my new IP address:

01100 allow udp from any 53 to 24.214.56.157
01200 allow udp from 24.214.56.157 to any 53

But I'm still stumped as to why it was using the old IP address as I
wouldn't think the other DHCP server would like that.

Come to think of it using tcpdump at work the NT systems tend to use
0.0.0.0 on the initial DHCP cry for help. So I probably need to open
the above to a net range where my ISP's DHCP servers lie?

Rebooting cleared the problem. Didn't like it. After all this isn't
Windows.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net