Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 11:15:05 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@ics.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk, freyes@i-2000.com
Subject:   ppp with dedicated line

I'm using user ppp on a dedicated 56K line, successfully but
probably not correctly :-(

Under freebsd version 2.1

Some questions:

1. What is the difference between direct and dedicated modes?
I'm using a dedicated 56K line; is "direct" a hardwired link
(e.g. port to port), and "dedicated" a dedicated telco link?

2. In order to get ppp to work on my dedicated line, I needed
to make the following mods to force packet mode:

*** /cdrom/usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp/main.c  Thu Oct  5 14:24:42 1995
--- main_new.c  Wed May  1 07:46:56 1996
***************
*** 599,604 ****
--- 599,610 ----
    } else if (mode & MODE_DEDICATED) {
      if (!modem)
        modem = OpenModem(mode);
+     /*
+      * garya@dreamchaser.org
+      * Force packet mode as for a direct connection
+      */
+     PacketMode();
    }

3. I'm having trouble getting ppp.linkup to be read when used with a
dedicated line.  It appears to be totally ignored when ppp is
started as follows:

	ppp -dedicated myline

The only way I could get a default route added for my dedicated
line was to start it in /etc/start_if.tun0 as follows:

	ppp -dedicated myline
	sleep 10
	route add default 199.2.139.16

The sleep is ugly and theoretically unreliable;
but since ppp.linkup wasn't getting read or properly executed,
I needed the sleep to wait for the network to come up and the
route table to get established.

What's the *right* way to do this?

4. I tried putting some logprintf debug code in SelectSystem,
to check to see if ppp.linkup was even being read;
but doing so caused a core dump.  Can someone explain why, and
give me a hint as to how to debug this?

5. Invalid lines in ppp.linkup are apparently ignored,
or executed with the output directed to /dev/null.
(At least nothing shows up in ppp.log)
How do I tell if it is reading ppp.linkup?
I've tried ppp.linkup with each of the following:

myline:
 add 0 0 HISADDR
 add 207.40.47.18 0 HISADDR
 add 0 0 199.2.139.16
 add 207.40.47.18 0 199.2.139.16
 add default 0 199.2.139.16

6. When running in dedicated (or direct, I think) mode,
attempting to connect via a telnet to port 3000 appears
to work, but typing commands produces no output and you
have to kill the telnet session to recover.  Is this a
known problem?  Or, as usual, I'm screwing something up? ...

--
Gary Aitken		garya@ics.com		(business)
			garya@dreamchaser.org	(personal)