Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:53:54 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
Cc:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net, michael@blueneptune.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there still problems with Adaptec UW controllers (fwd)

>I have just finally given up on some DEC 21*** PCI ethercards in our
>servers following a number of problems with them -- one of which is an
>apparent conflict with the 2940UW and 2940U.
>
>Interestingly, the problems (which manifest as SCB timeouts on idle and
>some possible corruption) did not stop until I'd removed not only the cards
>but also the de0 code. These are production machines, so I'm afraid that I
>wasn't able to do a proper bug report in the rush to get everything running
>again, and have no redundancy for testing. The ether cards now work fine
>alongside ATA controllers under W95.

I don't know of any conflicts with the dec cards, but the SCB timeouts can
be caused by overflowing the QOUTFIFO in the Adaptec.  If the dec and
Adaptec share an interrupt, this can increase the interrupt latency in
servicing the QOUTFIFO and make the problem worse.  If you were to upgrade
to the latest 2.2-Stable kernel, which has a fix for this problem, my guess
is that your problem would likely go away.

>Robin.

>Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
>Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
>Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
>Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
>WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/

Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations