Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:43:25 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Giving up on buffers

In message <xzppug6j4sa.fsf_-_@flood.ping.uio.no> Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
: Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> writes:
: >     (2) the I/O for the buffer synchronization is initiated but interrupts
: >     are winding up being disabled by the halt code due to holding Giant
: >     and not sleeping (more likely).  That all I can think of.  We've hit
: >     the interrupt disablement problem before in -current, it's probably
: >     something simliar.
:
: Sounds likely. On my laptop, the "giving up on n buffers" message is
: usually accompanied by an ata0 timeout.

Just FYI: ata isn't printing a timeout for me.

However, I have had several panics with the lpt problem which freeze
the system hard in the syncing buffers.

Warner