Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 17:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk, Studded@san.rr.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp states and sysctl's

Studded <Studded@san.rr.com> writes:

[Re all those TCP connections in FIN_WAIT_2]:
> 	My main concern is fd's right now (mostly due to a project I'm working
> on :). When exactly does the fd associated with a connection like this
> get allocated and when does it get released?

The fd is gone; the server has closed the socket.

In my opinion, the biggest (potential) problem with having thousands
of (de facto dead) TCP connections hanging around in FIN_WAIT_2 is
the fact that there are still some linear traversals of the TCB
list in the code (like in the timers).  My apologies in advance if
this has been addressed in -CURRENT; I "live" on the STABLE branch.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.