Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:45:47 +0200
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   internal identd problem

        Hi,

I read the thread about the cpu hog problem of the internal identd
problem and tried to reproduce it on my box. I did a truss on the inetd
process and got this :

select(0x8,0xbfbff46c,0x0,0x0,0xbfbfd45c)  = 1 (0x1)
ioctl(7,FIONREAD,0xbfbfd444)    = 0 (0x0)
read(0x7,0xbfbfd46c,0x0)    = 0 (0x0)
gettimeofday(0xbfbfd45c,0x0)    = 0 (0x0)
[...]

a lot of times.

It seems it's a very common problem. The return value of read() is not
checked against 0 (0 means that the other side disconnected) and so, it
loops until the connection times out.

I will look at inetd sources to fix this bug as soon as possible and I
think I will come shortly with a patch.

Regards,
Maxime Henrion