Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mrcpu@cdsnet.net, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: Final request for help with release.  (DPT boot floppy)

 * I take this as a compliment.  Thank you.  How high is the load in your test.
 * We reject here anything under 256 concurrent processes and release after
 * 1024 concurrent processes ran continually for 48 hours.  Then it goes to
 * System Test which does who know what...
 *
 * Simon
 *
 * Almost forgot;  Still have to see a Solaris box survive this test.  Let
 * alone perform as well as FreeBSD in these casual tests.

I have also seen mysterious lockups (for a few seconds) with Solaris
x86 when I bombarded more than two twin-channel controllers (Adaptec
3940W/UW) with lots of requests.  FreeBSD had no problems whatsoever.

Also, the maximum number of transactions (8KB random reads) per second
of Solaris x86 maxed out at around 2,500, while FreeBSD went as high
as 4,500 on identical hardware.  This is with fast-wide SCSI -- with
ultra-wide SCSI, FreeBSD went to 4,800 and Solaris couldn't run in
ultra-wide mode.  Also, FreeBSD could have been much higher if we used
all twin-channel controllers, but we only used single-channel
controllers because of the "identical hardware" requirement.

This is with FreeBSD 2.2-stable of about half a year ago and Solaris
x86 2.5.1 (the latast at that time).

Satoshi