Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:55:52 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
Subject:   Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

At 12:16 PM +0200 2000/3/29, Martin Cracauer wrote:

>  Isn't that a bit hard? If the crashes Didier had are anything like my
>  ide panics or unknown hard hangs I have, it is too hard for a normal
>  user to collect the data that a useful kernel PR requires.

	What other solution would you have us implement?!?

	Do you really honestly expect us to go around reading everyone's
mind?  Do you really honestly expect us to fly out on a moment's
notice with a brand-new replacement system that has been completely
tested in an exact replica of your configuration and confirmed as
working perfectly and will result in multi-century uptimes if you let
it, so that we can then take the offending machine back and figure
out what we did wrong?

	Just how exactly do you propose that we actually fix your problem
if you don't bloody tell us about it?!?

	Thank you, we're just a bunch of unpaid volunteers here, and no
commercial vendor on the planet I know of could do any better with
fixing your problem if you don't tell them about it.

	You've already got access to a support network that (IMO) is
superior in virtually every way to any support you'd get from a
commercial vendor, but this support network does require a certain
minimum amount of effort on your part -- you have to tell us about
the problem.

	And while you're at it, please keep in mind that you're not
paying a single penny for this support network that you're
complaining about.