Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:22:35 -0500
From:      Daniel McRobb <dwm@caida.org>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Denis DeLaRoca <denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu>, Jason Garman <jgarman@wedgie.org>, Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>, Michael Hohmuth <hohmuth@innocent.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: raplayer- realaudio

> [ On Monday, March 13, Chuck Robey wrote: ]
> >
> > I notice that the binary that was downloadable from the realplayer site
> > was a big binary, which I'm not willing to just blindly allow itself to
> > manage install for me.  Does anyone know how it unpacks, or maybe would
> > anyone be willing to let me have the unpacked binaries (and maybe config
> > files? too) involved?  I'm just not willing to trust some 3rd party with
> > my system.
>
> Believe me, I would *love* to repackage all the .so, etc. files into a
> regular "non-self-extracting" tarball, but their license prohibits that
> action ... :(
>
> My system hasn't melted down after running their install, so you might
> be safe ... :)

Works fine for me too, and you can always run the install as a normal
user and tell it to install in a non-system directory (I always install
these kinds of things in a subdirectory under /usr/local/pkg/, and just
put symlinks to /usr/local/bin/ and the like after I've tested).

With Real's history on these kinds of things, I'd be much more worried
about what the player is telling various servers when you're using it
than anything it does during the install.  ;-)

Daniel
~~~~~~