Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 13:14:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Jason Scott <freepix@sirius.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail in 3.1

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Jason Scott wrote:
> When I transfer over the new sendmail.cf file, and I try to send e-mail out
> from my server,
> I get "relaying denied" and when I try to send e-mail into it I get "user
> unknown".  I assume
> that the user base has changed, and I'm unsure how to format/create the new
> user/domain listing.  My old version of sendmail was 8.8.8, so right now,
> the only thing I can do is use my old sendmail.cf file to allow e-mails to
> go through.  I've checked out sendmail.org and I don't see any explanation
> on how to create the files that it could possibly be looking for, do you
> know which they are or how to create them?

The sendmail.cf in 3.1 and 3.2 includes feature access.db
You need to create a file, /etc/mail/access and list the domains
you want to be able to use the mail server to send mail.  At
a minimum it needs to include

127.0.0		OK
your.domain	OK

if you're running nat or have users whose IP address is not resolvable
you'll need to enter the network prefix to allow like

192.168.1	RELAY

After creating /etc/mail/access run

# cd /etc/mail
# makemap hash access < access

See the anti-spam section at www.sendmail.org for more info on
the access file, it's also where you put in blocks for mail you
don't want.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com