Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:38:28 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@netzuno.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: status of bridge code

Hi,

> > But from my list of wishes I'd say the first 3 are gone. All that's left
is
> > spanning tree. I'm probably going to need this pretty soon, so once more
> > I'm asking if anyone is working on it. If not I'll start on it.
>
> Do you have references for how to do this? As I understand it, there
> are special Ethernet addresses that are "for bridges only -- do not
> forward" that are used to construct the spanning tree, etc. What is
> the "standard" algorithm used by bridges, etc.?

After a quick search on google for "spanning tree" and "BPDU", here are some
usefull links:

http://www.ece.wpi.edu/courses/ee535/hwk96/hwk3cd96/sef/sef.html

http://www.synapse.de/ban/HTML/P_LAYER2/Eng/P_lay119.html

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/199910/msg00070.html

http://www.support.baynetworks.com/library/tpubs/html/router/soft1000/bridge
/2950A-16.html

Apparently there is an implementation in linux (look for the file
net/bridge/br_stp_bpdu.c)
and the "BRIDGE-STP-HOWTO"
(http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/BRIDG
E-STP-HOWTO.html)