Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 09:39:54 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Via Chipset Fix

I noticed the following thread about the Via chipset problem.  I run a
production server off a Tyan Tiger 133A, which also has this problem.  Tyan
does not have a BIOS fix, nor does it look like they ever will.  When you
contact them, they point to the Windows driver fix.  They don't seem to
understand there are non-Windows systems.  If you could add such code to the
kernel it would help me get past a 20 day uptime which has been the record
this box has had.  It simply panics on heavy IDE useage.  / /usr /var /tmp
and swap are all on very fast SCSI.  /usr/home is on a large IDE UDMA66 for
storage.  if you go to /usr/home and do something like du -h (there's about
30 gigs in there) or ls -R or something of that nature it will almost
certainly panic.  We've made some adjustments and the frequency of the
problem is reduced, but a kernel option for a hack on this chipset would be
very worthy in the eyes of those of us stuck with these motherboards running
FreeBSD.  This is just a single example, I also have a KX133 which is
affected, with no patch from Asus.

> > > Well, since it didn't, I might as well explain the problem here too.
> > > There are at least two major problems with VIA chips:
> >
> > [data curruption on VIA KT133/133A systems by pushing PCI and memory
bus]

> > Are you sure about that?
>
> I am.  I was having data coruption in a terrable way when I added a 2nd
> IDE UDA100 drive to a very plain MSI K7T Pro2-A 1.2GHz Athlon system.

Hmm, dont MSI have a fixed BIOS ?

I could add the code to the kernel, but do we have a placeholder
for such PCI quirks ??

There is nothing new to these kind of problems, lots of chipsets
has problems that are worked around in the BIOS, and frankly that
is where such fixes should be IMNHO...

- -Søren