Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2014 07:21:41 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ARM <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: RFT: Please help testing the llvm/clang 3.5.0 import

--Apple-Mail=_EDB854E8-CC35-4A03-9A15-80A65063E49F

> On Dec 18, 2014, at 6:02 AM, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> On 18 Dec 2014, at 02:17, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>>   As a request to speed up the build process further,
>>   - Would it be [easily] possible in the clang35 branch to bootstrap
>> the compiler for a specific architecture? The bootstrap / cross
>> compiler for instance always builds N targets instead of building =
just
>> the desired TARGET/TARGET_ARCH combo.
>=20
> It's not very easy, at least not without breaking various parts of our
> fragile build system, but I surely want to put something like this on
> the TODO list for *after* the import has completed.
>=20
> The branch is making progress right now, and I would not want to
> complicate matters further by introducing yet another tricky feature. =
:)

The build system isn=E2=80=99t so much the issue, but you wind up with
files that refer to all the architectures.

But this is  a request for a new feature, not quite in scope for a =
compiler
upgrade.

>>   - Could a "MK_CLANG_ALL_TARGETS" or something similar option be
>> added to src.opts.mk to fine tune this process for those of us who
>> don't want to build a cross-compile toolchain every iteration for our
>> target MACHINE/MACHINE_ARCH?
>=20
> I would be fine with something like this, as long as it is turned off =
by
> default, or if it is only used for the bootstrap stages.  It is =
actually
> an extremely useful feature of clang that you can target multiple
> architectures with one compiler binary.

This is a new feature. Various people have tried in the past to =
implement
it and compiling just the mips files on mips is straight forward. =
However,
convincing clang to not reference the other architectures requires more
sophistication than we currently have in the clang build process.

> A more interesting case would be to remodel the build system so it can
> use one toolchain (external, or pkg-ng'd, maybe?) for building an =
entire
> universe.  With clang, that should be relatively easy to do.

Another useful new feature. The hard part with this is getting all the =
fiddly
bits in the tree that depend on default CC producing proper binaries to
cooperate.. Doable, but that=E2=80=99s a lot of universe builds. And =
today it isn=E2=80=99t
very practical because sparc64 and mips are broken...

Warner