Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 08:53:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rich Murphey <rich@rich.isdn.bcm.tmc.edu>
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: This is sick...

|From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
|
|... But I'm doing a
|
|diff -ur /4.4lite/v1/4.4BSD-Lite/usr/src /4.4lite/v2/4.4BSD-Lite2/usr/src
|
|where both of the trees are cds mounted from my Nakamichi NBR-7.  This
|is running -stable of a few days ago.  I recall that others were
|having problems with this drive, but I've lost their names.  It seems
|stable enough for me, and I've had to install no special patches.
|This is with the usual 486DX2-66, UltraStor 34F, 32M of memory.

I've had lots of problems mouting 4 or more CDs on
-stable with the MBR-7.  The system hangs nightly even
though there isn't any intentional simultaneous access
in any of the cron scripts.  I've got crash dumps from
simultaneous access to CDs, but they haven't revealed
the root of the problem.  I seem to be the only one, so
I suspect it that my Nakamichi drive's at fault.

I'm told that accessing 2 CDs simultaneously is also
very hard on the drive mechanisms.  If you hear the
drive making grinding noises during rapid CD changes
you'll know what they mean.  Rich