Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:44:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIS/YP massiv problems, HELP!

Dear Sirs.
Again, I would like to ask for some hints about NIS/YP.

I already set up our domain and it contains a master and several slaves.
Setting up master NIS server was easy, but slaves seems to be a great
deal. Two of three servers should be slaves, and they also should be
NIS clients. I also set up SecureRPC as described in the manpages,
have inetd running with tcpwrapper facility for both internal and external
services (inetd -lwW) and running IPFW.

But the below described symptomes are still present when disabling
tcpwrapping, ipfw and SecureRPC (means: switching off all related daemons,
deleting all related files like /etc/publickey and /etc/.rootkey, ipfilter
is transparent for all traffic coming from all over the net).

On machines running ypserv (either ypserv -n or ypserv) and acting as
slave servers I can not bind ypbind to this system nor running ypbind
anyway. I tried to use ypbind -s -S Domain,Host1,host2 as host1 and host2
are names located in /etc/hosts (I use the same base file on master and slaves
to avoid mistakes for especially this testing purpose) and ypbind -s or
simply ypbind - but it is everytime the same: NIS does not work! On a
client machine I can rund ypbind, but it never attaches to its master.
ypbind is not able to communicate with the on the same host running ypserv
daemon (why??).

I tried prior to install a NIS/YP environment completely free of secure
stuff (no IPFW, no warpper, no SecureRPC), but every time I ran make
in /var/yp I got an error message: can not create UDP handle to slave server, host unknown
or similar.

Another very curious phenomenon is when trying to connect via ssh or telnet to
a host running ypbind: telnet timed out after typing the loginname after a
while when coming up and ssh crashes (seen on the console of the apropriate
host, SIG 11) and dumps a core. On another machine, acting as DHCP server
and boot server for our diskless X-terminals, tftp does not work, the
x-client always reports a tftp timeout after it got its IP from the dhcp server.

The communication with each of the faulty hosts is clear without NIS/YP, but
it gets harsh when running ypbind ...

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)