Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:09:13 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Generic PCI ethernet card

I have a "generic" (read "cheap") PCI ethernet
card here that purports to be able to use the
NE2000 driver.

I notice when I boot the system that the PCI stuff
is all OK, but, apparently, the ID code on the card
is not recognized, and no driver is assigned.

Is this just a matter of adding the ID code to
the driver in if_ed_p.c, where it lists RealTek 8029,
ProLan, and etc...and I guess I have to boot the
system and see what code is returned...or am I off
on the wrong path? Also, how does the system know to
even have if_ed_p.c scan for a code if it doesn't know
what kind of card it is dealing with? Is this handed
down from the bios? Lotsa questions...

regards,
Jim Durham