Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 12:10:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port-maintenance

On 09-Jan-00 Igor Roshchin wrote:
> However, (sorry for not being clear enough at the very beginning)
> my point is that doing it this way (manually) is
> a) NOT the most effective:
>  - just imagine repeating all those scripts, manually typing in the ports
>  names after getting them from the pkg list, on several machines.
>  - imagine N (5, 10, 20) machines to do the complete cvsup of ports
>   (time and load) ?  NFS mounted /usr/ports sometimes is just not an option.

cron a script that does what mine does plus a little extra sanity checking. :-)

> b) NOT the most convinient.
>  - Try to have all this scripts (as a separate additional script)
>    handy on each machine, or otherwise to recreate them again each time
>    you do update/upgrade.
> After all, that's why we have /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port*.mk :)

That's why we have (script) files. ;-)

> SUMMARY
> -------
> 1. So, the suggestions were to add functionality to the Mk/bsd.port*.mk
> and (may be) ports[/packages] -related utilites (as discussed below).
>
> 2. I suggest to implement (if possible) some type of
> "partial cvsup" - which would update  the source only for
> the base portion (such as Mk/, dependencies ),
> and the desired (already installed) ports,
> without updated the whole colletion.
> (Just to clarify: "update" in Problem #1a means "source_update")
>
> The new corresponding targets in /usr/ports/Makefile should be something
> like:
>       update-source-installed       (partial cvsup)
> and optional
>       update-source-all
> which would be equivivalent to the full cvsup source-update)

These are already in there.. variables can interpose certain options (i.e.
'partial cvsup').

I do think that the current update target needs better implementation, however.

> 4. in Problem #2 - "update" means recompilation and reinstallation
>  of the installed ports.
> Possible targets for /usr/ports/Makefile are:
>       rebuild-installed (rebuild of all installed ports with
>                               the existing source)
>       reinstall-installed (reinstall of all installed ports without
>                               rebuilding them)

These can be combined into one target.

>       install-installed :     rebuild-installed, reinstall-installed
>       update-installed :      update-source-installed, rebuild-installed,
>                               reinstall-installed

So can these.

> 5. A target "update-source" for an individual port.
> It should do the partial cvsup - "Mk/", dependencies and the port itself.

This sounds like a nice idea.

> 6. Separation in the list  of the packages installed via
>  pkg_add and  port compilation

Can be done by putting a "PACKAGE" file or similar (as I suggested last time).

> 7. Possibility of automated package upgrade via pkg_add for
> all the packages already installed [via pkg_add]

That's another issue entirely...

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>