Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:08:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   'Backwards' DES support for crypt(), while still using better algo's

I'm working on hacking SHA-1 encryption into passwords as '$2$' (suggested
by Poul).  One thought I had was on systems that have existing passwords
with DES, where they may want to use better encryption but they dont
because right now it is either all or nothing (? as far as I can tell).

What would be nice is to have '$0$' be DES encryption, then we could still
support better encryption while also staying functional with older
passwords (which you would likely want to just expire and let them
re-encrypt), as calling crypt() with a salt which does not have a version
on it would simply default to whatever the latest 'version' is, where
prepending the version to it would force it to use that encryption.

This would also require a change in passwd so it doesnt unintentionally
keep using DES or MD5 and just inherently uses the 'latest' version by not
specifying the version in it's salt (right now passwd/local_passwd.c
implicitly uses '$1$').

-Brandon Gillespie