Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 03:17:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, nate@mt.sri.com, daniel_sobral@voga.com.br, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

> > > Heck, I've got 10-20 people willing to be added to the 'FS-101' list by
> > > you, but up till now very little progress has been made.  Why do you
> > > expect other developers to spend the 1000 hours of work add new features
> > > to make your life easier when you aren't willing to spend 1-2 to get
> > > things started.
> >
> > Heh.  Committers outnumber contributors...
>
> Actually, only 2 are committers.  You still haven't answered the
> question though.  Why are you willing to donate *my* time yet you aren't
> willing to donate anytime of your own?

What you have asked for is actually a hell of a lot more work than
just supplying the patches... it's basically an explanation of the
reasoning behind my FS worldview, and why I approach solving FS
problems the way I do, and exactly what makes me think something
is a problem or not.

It's a lot harder to provide this information in a coherent fashion
than it is to burn of a set of patches and say "apply these and call
me in the morning".

I have to actually block out a large chunk of time to be able to do
this in a way that isn't half-assed.  I'm a bit cautious here as well:
if I say something that is half-assed, then there'll be something to
point at and say "that's half-assed".  This is very different, again,
than patches, where the worst you can say is "hey, those don't work".

I'm willing to open myself up for a critique of my philosophy, but
only if I can present it coherently without making assumptions about
the audience that will make me look either patronizing or technobabling.
It's a hell of a line to be asked to walk.

As far as donating your time... with the kernel configurator discussion,
I'm actually asking people to *not* donate their time.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.