Date:      02 Jul 1998 12:29:55 +0200
From:      smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        nick.hibma@jrc.it, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console driver (was: Problems with irq 9(2)?)

sos@freebsd.org writes:
> > However, no VGA board that I know of will exhibit snow while in text
> > mode, so waiting for vertical retrace is not necessary. It should not
> Well you dont know much then :), most modern videocards will
> "snow" when you muck with the font generator, you probably
> confuses this with writing to the screen buffer, which works
> on all VGA's etc etc...

Ah. I didn't realize that we were talking font generator here.

Honestly, I don't really see the point in having a nifty pseudo-
graphical mouse cursor in text mode. First, it's overkill because you
only need character resolution, not pixel resolution. Second, it
steals four characters from your character set. Third, it doesn't work
properly (or at least doesn't look good) in all modes.

> > > Or, much better, use an int routine called by the vertical retrace that
> > > is mentioned in the message below.
> > No. Modern graphics adapters do not have that functionality.
> Well, most VGA comaptibles do have it, but there is enough cards
> outthere that doesn't, so its not a soluiton.

Of all the VGA adapters I've ever laid eyes on, the only one to
generate an interrupt on vertical retrace is an old VLB S3 86c805
based accelerator, and even that one has a jumper for it which is off
by factory default. I currently own two S3 cards, one TSeng Labs card,
and a bunch of no-brand Cirrus Logic and Western Digital based cards.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com