Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 08:07:04 +0200
From:      Michael Schuster <Michael.Schuster@utimaco.co.at>
To:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   .zip vs. .tar.gz [was: zipfs filesystem anyone ? ]

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:

>You are correct; gzipped tarfiles are organised the wrong way around
>(metadata inside the compressed envelope), while zipfiles keep the
>metadata outside.

If you like, you can first compress all your files and then tar them,
doing something like (not tested, just FTTOMH (from the top of my
head:-))

	find . -type f <other criteria> | xargs gzip
	tar cf .

This is of course not as elegant as saying

	tar ....; gzip tarfile

The whole difference obviously comes from different approaches: Zip does
compression and archiving in one, whereas tar and gzip build on the
typical UNIX way of doing things: one tool for one purpose. That way,
your tools will be good, and you can upgrade one without having to touch
the other.

cheers
Michael
--
Michael Schuster
Utimaco Safe Concept GmbH. | Tel: +43 732 655755 41