Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 19:29:14 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Patient Monitoring !!

Hmm... never tried this, but maybe try to look at the data
passed through the serial port in ASCII? Possibly the
commands are in ASCII, so you would be able to write a
driver without having the protocol, with some patience to
look at how things are done.

--
Oren Sarig
sarig@bezeqint.net

> I am not actually working in any of these companies, nor
have ever heard
> anything about the equipment mentioned above.  However, I
can do some
> wild guessing about all this stuff.
>
> A serial port is a very generic interface for transmitting
digital data,
> and this generic nature of it is it's power.  However, you
need to know
> /what/ to transmit and /when/ in order to communicate with
something on
> the other end of this "interface."
>
> This knowledge of what to transmit and the time to send
it, can be
> called a *protocol*.  So, if HP or Marquette give you or
somebody else
> the information about this protocol, it will be relatively
easy to write
> simple programs for logging or even displaying under
FreeBSD.

> Provided that this protocol is not some valuable-secret of
HP or someone
> else, and it's what we call an _open_ protocol, you can do
some
> interesting stuff with your FreeBSD.  If that is not true
(and there is
> no information on the communication protocol used) you're
probably stuck