Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:18:20 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Bjorn Danielsson <carbon-unit-1@urquell.pilsnet.sunet.se>, Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, der <der@pc759.cs.msu.su>, Don Read <dread@texas.net>, Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        freebsd hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Resolv.conf question

Bjorn Danielsson wrote:

> Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > The 3.3 Box is a local server on a disconnected LAN talking
> > to a "remote" server that spools mail, which is grabbed by
> > fetchmail. We are running PPP on-demand to the external
> > server via a dial-up to an ISP. However, PPP only holds the
> > line up from 8am-8pm and this is happening at 1:59am, coinciding
> > with the "periodic daily" scripts from crontab.
>
> Try changing "netstat -i" to "netstat -ni" in the script
> /etc/periodic/daily/420.status-network
>
> Maybe the reverse dns lookup done by netstat -i tries to activate
> ppp which then wipes /etc/resolv.conf. Just a crazy idea...
>
> --

You are so correct. I actually found it by executing all the
scripts in /etc/periodic/daily "by hand" until it changed the
file. It was the network status script, as you surmised.

Alex Derevyanko <der <der@pc759.cs.msu.su>, also came to the
same conclusion, so you two have to share the prize. Here's
Alex's info:

> I have the same problem few weeks ago - it's 'netstat -r' problem - it
tryes to
> resolve hostnames. Sometimes the cache on my caching nameserver
was up-to-date,
> and ppp doesn't ring, sometimes no. Change it to 'netstat -rn'

Thanks to all who replied.

--
Jim Durham