Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2011 11:48:45 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gustau_P=E9rez?= <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        Michael Butler <imb@protected-networks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeze with 10.0 and VirtualBox {4.1.4|4.1.6|4.1.51r38464}

>> machine:
>>
>> Nov 25 08:57:06 portgus kernel: acquiring duplicate lock of same type:
>> "IPRT Fast Mutex Semaphore"
>> Nov 25 08:57:06 portgus kernel: acquiring duplicate lock of same type:
>> "IPRT Fast Mutex Semaphore"
>> Nov 25 08:57:06 portgus kernel: 1st IPRT Fast Mutex Semaphore @ \
>> /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod/work/VirtualBox-4.1.6_OSE/out/freebsd.amd64/release/bin/src/vboxdrv/r0drv/freebsd/semfastmutex-r0drv-freebsd.c:100
>>

>> I don't know if I'll have time to check this. I will try the versions in
>> the ports tree (4.012?) but if it works it will allow us to work until
>> 4.1.X gets into the tree.
>
> This appears to be related to recent changes in the locking mechanisms -
> specifically, SVN r227758 and r227788. I have not had time to explore
> further :-(

   I've been checking those revisions and all they do is offer a new
interface by generalizing the definition of functions already there. The
old interface will use the new functions (the new interface are of the
form like sx_lock_(), the older ones like sx_xlock will expand to
sx_xlock_() which will expand to _sx_xlock or __sx_xlock as they did
previously). So perhaps I'm missing something (I just took a brief look
at the code) but I fear they are not the problem.

   I will try an older kernel (as the problem has to with sx I'm going
to try with r227785) just in case.

   Moreover I see some discussion in freebsd-ports@ at the of October
related to the D_PSEUDO issue where one posters made Virtualbox to work
but reported a dmesg where I can the same messages I have. At that time
the new {sx|mx} interface wasn't there.

    Will report my findings soon...