Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2006 23:14:03 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, Andrey Beresovsky <and@rsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: Boot hangs on ips0: resetting adapter, this may take up to 5 minutes

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, John Baldwin wrote:

JB>Hmm, you might need to look at bge(4) and figure out what condition it
JB>is interrupting on, and why the driver isn't handling that condition.

I'll try...

JB>> John, can you tell anything about another case, for which interrupt
JB>> counters are:
JB>>
JB>> db> show intrcnt
JB>> irq1: atkbd0            1
JB>> irq4: sio0              3
JB>> irq6: fdc0              2
JB>> irq9: acpi0             345147
JB>> irq14: ata0             1
JB>> cpu0: timer             57995
JB>>
JB>> Does this also show an interrupt storm? This one has happened without bge
JB>> in kernel. I'm asking because I've seen several different scenarios of
JB>> hangs and this is from one of them. I'll try to reproduce all cases and
JB>> gather interrupt statistics from all of them. I'm wondering can't all this
JB>> cases be caused by one common reason behind all of them.
JB>
JB>This just looks like you aren't getting interrups from devices at all.

Why do you think so? This case has happened in the middle of boot even
before disks were started and the kernel hasn't printed anything about
disks it has detected. It looks normal to me that just a few interrupts
has been triggered. But irq9 looks quite suspicious, isn't it?

Can it be possible that by some reason interrupt storms are triggered on
different irq lines resulting in different behaviour?

--
Oleg Sharoiko.
Software and Network Engineer