Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 14:52:23 +0200
From:      Florian Bofinger <bofax@camelot.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@camelot.de, freebsd-isp@camelot.de
Subject:   Re: NIS/YP getpwnam timeout in 3.5-RELEASE?

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 12:59:47PM +0200, Florian Bofinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since a few days, our NIS shows strange behaviour.
>
> When calling getpwnam on a NIS client for a  valid, existing, plussed loginname
> (+user:::::::::), getpwnam->pw_passwd sometimes returns the crypted password
> (which is the right behaviour) but sometimes returns '*'. Is it possible, that
> the ypmatch-call in getpwent.c does a timeout?
>
> Does
>
> 	if (_yp_enabled == -1)
> 		_ypinitdb();
> 	if (_yp_enabled)
> 		rval = _getyppass(&_pw_passwd, name, "passwd.byname");
>
> show, that if _ypinitdb() does not work, YP is not used at all?
>
> How can it be, that getpwnam->pw_passwd returns "*" instead of
> getpwnam beeing NULL?
>
> Anyone any suggestions?

I should have taken a look into /var/log/messages on the YP server, where
it says a few times:

Oct 12 16:40:27 hostname ypserv[189]: access to master.passwd.byname denied -- client X.X.X.X:2305 not privileged

Why does ypbind use TCP ports > 1023? It is possible, that there are no
ports < 1024 free, but ypbind never should use ports above > 1023 or am
I wrong?

Greetings,
		Florian

--