Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 19:13:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Robertson <max@underdog.maxie.com>
To:        Nik Malenovic <malenovi@cview.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Nik Malenovic wrote:

> ISDN cards can use both channels but it's done via hardware. bridges
> route ethernet traffic based on MAC addresses (hardware solution).
Okay, I was assuming the ISDN cards had some routing capability of thier
own, like the external ISDN unit here. I've personally never met one of the
internal beasts.

> It would be interesting to see load balancing being standardized.
> you can load balance ANY interface. let's say a device in kernel
> to which you add multiple interfaces, which are multiple lines,
> with the same routing info and kernel knows it can send packet
> via any of them.. Any ideas how Linux and CISCO do 'em?

I really do not know much about how FreeBSD handles IP at the kernel
level, but it would seem to me something like that could be handled at
the route layer... Instead of just disgarding packets it could check for an
alternate route to the same destination. With a little extra accounting
(keeping track of link speed and current percentage of use) it could be
rather efficent at delivering packets by the best link at that particular
moment.

  James Robertson
  Treetop Internet Services