Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 17:10:00 +0100
From:      Felipe Garcia <bsd@usis.usemb.se>
To:        lars.falch@dbergstrom.dk, Doug White  <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation?

At 12:10 PM 2/26/97 +0000, lars.falch@dbergstrom.dk wrote:
>Hi Doug,
>
>>> Okey, so I should completely forget my knowledge about Linux
>>> during the installation? ;)
>>
>> Maybe.  It depends on how stuck you get, if you get stuck :)
>
>Well, after a couple of attemps I got through the installation.
>But I have a couple of questions.
>
>Where is your shell defined? I've checked both the passwd and
>the master.passwd file, but it doesn't seem to  make a
>difference what the shell statements are here?

run vipw to change anything in the passwd files

>Another thing, I have configured my XFree96 exactly the same
>way as I did with the latest slackware, but when I try to run
>'startx' it starts up the server and the screen goes blank -
>and the machine restarts? I am using a Pentium Pro with a
>Matrox Millenium 2 mb. Any suggestions?

you might need to recompile the kernel and add

options SYS something or other ( copy it from the LINT file)
and
options XSERVER
read the LINT file it is in /sys/i396/conf and read the handbook to see how
to recompile the kernel

also for matrox card you need version 3.2 of freeX FreeBSD 2.1.5 cames with
3.1.

>A last thing, when I am using the /stand/sysinstall program to
>install packages, I run into a problem, since I am installing
>from an msdos partition I only have 8.3 filenames, and the
>installation program is expecting long filenames, and it
>therefore can't install. Is there anyway of 'cheating' the
>program or do I have to install everything manually?

pkg_add (filename) will install the packages but check to see if you have
any dependences (ie packages that the package requires installed)