Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:51:35 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   URGENT: resource allocation to web server

My webserver is getting hit heavily right now, and is failing to fork
critical CGI and sendmail processes. How do I increase it's resource
allocation?

Load is sitting at around 0.5, CPU utilisation under 10%, not using it's
swap space at all.

The webserver's user has about 20 or so processes, with mail processes
forking off for perhaps another 20.  I don't want these to fail.

I imagine the resource crunch is probably happening on file handles?  How
do I set this and make ittake effect with minimal interruption of the
server.

I need to sort this out quickly, but if I don't then the current peak will
probably last at least a week or two. (It's related to a crisis in
government and consequent material on my site).  In 6 months this will
probably be an average daily load.

I'm sure this is a RTFM thing, but which one(s)?

Any pointers much appreciated
Andrew McNaughton